Skilled and dedicated coaches are the most important aspect of Maryland Interscholastic Cycling League mountain bike teams. A Maryland League coach puts the safety and overall well-being of their student-athletes as the first priority. NICA-licensed coaches are role models and teachers who are open to learning the best practices of youth mountain bike coaching and actively working to hone their leadership skills.
- No experience is necessary to become a Maryland League coach.
- We have the tools to help all coaches succeed.
- We offer comprehensive training at our Leaders’ Summit events (August).
- NICA coaches manuals provide detailed coaching instructions. (These are provided if you attend a Leaders’ Summit.)
- Check out the Educational Resources provided by NICA. Their free webinars are very useful – ranging from information on the NICA Rulebook to How to Start and Manage a High School Team – NICA WEBINAR SERIES SCHEDULE
Be sure to sign up for the Maryland League Newsletter and stay up to date on Maryland League events, clinics, camps and news!
How do I get started?
Skilled and dedicated NICA volunteers are the most important aspect of NICA interscholastic mountain bike teams. A NICA volunteer puts the safety and overall well-being of their student-athletes as the first priority. NICA volunteers are role models and teachers who are open to learning the best practices of youth mountain bike coaching and actively work to hone their leadership skills.
All volunteers are required to obtain a NICA Certification License at one of three levels:
Level 1 Certification: Assists all coaches as directed by the head coach.
Level 2 Certification: Assists level 3 coaches with advanced tasks such as leading rides.
Level 3 Certification: Takes a leadership role within the team. Equivalent competencies as head coach.
The path to becoming a NICA coach generally begins with volunteering for your local team, or attending a Leader’s Summit in your region.
To learn more about requirements for each license level click here.
Want to Start at Team?
Take a look at our Team Starter Kit Page.
Send an email to league director email@example.com.